What is a school council?
A school council is group of students who are elected to represent the views of all pupils and to improve their school.
The school council at Rise Academy is made up of a selection of students from across year groups and provision.
Pupils put themselves forward to be part of the student council and currently we have eight members. Meetings take place during enrichment period.
A good school council is one that represents the views of all pupils and gets things done.
These are some things that make a council effective:
- Regular meetings
- A council that is not too big
- Good communication between representatives and their peers, class members and partner providers
- Training for school council members
- Smaller groups (subcommittees) working on specific events or issues
- A bank account or budget (however small)
- Annual evaluations
Mrs Sadie Hartley runs and organises school council meetings at Rise Academy.
- Re-designed the bistro and its menu
- Involved with the planning of the redecoration of the school
- Consultation and planning of the termly reward trips
- Planning of the forthcoming attendance strategy reward activity
- Consultation with health practitioners about the restructure of teen mental health support
- Promotional film making
School at a Glance
We are inspirational
- By approaching students as individuals and understanding their perspectives, we find new and exciting ways to reactivate their engagement with learning. There is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ solution here.
We believe in young people
- We believe every young person has positive potential and that no student is a “lost cause”, whatever their history. We believe that disengagement is a response to the situation, not the problem, and that given the right support, every student can make a positive contribution.
We are committed
- The young people who come to us have reached a crisis point. Poor choices, combined with a lack of opportunities and insufficient support, have set them on a downward spiral. We will break this cycle.
We are expert professionals
- We are experienced, we know what we are doing and can demonstrate that our methods and approach yield outstanding results. We aim to set the standard for excellence in our field and show others how to achieve similar results.